Sweet and Sour Chicken
I grew up eating sweet and sour chicken, it is a family favorite! I have lightened up this recipe and it still tastes like home!
- 2 Tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground red pepper
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups mixed peppers and onions, fresh or frozen
- 1.5 cups chopped carrots, approx. 3 medium carrots
- 2 cups diced tomatoes, approx. 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 20oz can pineapple in 100% juice
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2.5 Tbsp tapioca starch or corn starch
- 2.5 Tbsp water
- Rice – optional
Heat 1 Tbsp canola oil and ½ cup water in pan. Cube chicken then season with salt, red pepper and black pepper. Sauté chicken until cooked through, then set aside with any excess liquid. Use the same pan, add 1 Tbsp Canola Oil then sauté carrots, onions and peppers until onions are translucent. Add canned pineapple with juice, 1 cup tomatoes and cooked chicken. Heat all ingredients to a simmer. In a separate bowl mix tapioca starch and water. After all ingredients are simmering turn off heat and mix in tapioca starch/water mixture, let stand for 5 minutes, then serve.
Serve over rice. You can omit the rice to keep the carbohydrate content lower.