My husband loves McDonalds breakfast burritos, but I knew I could make them healthier! I thought about making homemade burritos for years now, but I finally got around to it and I am glad I did! Have you looked at the ingredients in a tortilla lately? Here are the ingredients in the flour tortilla McDonalds uses: Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Shortening (Intereserified Soybean Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil), Contains 2% or Less: Sugar, Leavening (Baking Soda, Corn Starch, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate, Calcium Sulfate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Salt, Mono-diglycerides, Vital Wheat Gluten, Dough Conditioner (Sodium Metabisulfite, Corn Starch, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Dicalcium Phosphate). Who knew a tortilla required so many ingredients. I like eating foods with simple ingredients. My favorite tortillas are made by Tortilla Land and contain 5 ingredients: wheat flour, water, canola oil, salt, sugar. That is it! Here is the recipe for these awesome breakfast burritos.
Breakfast Burrito Recipe
- 6 tortilla (Tortilla Land)
- 6 eggs
- 1.5 cups sausage (chicken or turkey)
- 1.5 cups frozen potato hash browns (optional sub sweet potatoes)
- ½ cup frozen peppers and onions
- 3 slices cheese (sub 1.5 avocados for a dairy free alternative!)
- 2 tsp canola oil
- ½ tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Place 1 tsp canola oil in skillet, add frozen peppers, onions, potatoes ¼ tsp salt. Pan fry until cooked then set aside.
- Crack 6 eggs in a bowl and whisk add ¼ tsp salt. In the skillet, add 1 tsp canola oil then add eggs. Cook eggs so they are scrambled then set aside.
- Cook sausage and set aside. (I like cooking chicken sausage links in the microwave and cutting them up).
- Place one tortilla in large skillet, cook one side then flip over. While the second side is cooking assemble burrito with ¼ cup potato and pepper mix, ¼ cup egg, ¼ cup sausage, ½ slice cheese or ¼ avocado. Then roll tortilla and enjoy!
- To freeze, let tortilla cool, roll in foil and place in freezer! To reheat, unwrap burrito set on glass plate and cook for 2 minutes.